Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 32197

Other 1/28/2018

RE: Middle School High School

Salvatore Costa of Bayport, New York USA asks...

Hello, I am a middle school ref for the regular soccer game but my Question is about Futsal. I don't ref I'm just a parent with this game. As I understand it once the goalie passes the ball out he can not receive a pass back unless it is touched by the other team. Does that rule still apply if he leaves the goalie area? In other words does he just become a field player and has unlimited touches on the ball?



Answer provided by Referee Joe McHugh

Hi Sal
The only way the goalkeepers can play the ball for a second time is if he does so in the opponents half. It makes no difference if he leaves the goal area. He must cross the half way line to get involved in play and have unlimited touches of the ball.

Read other questions answered by Referee Joe McHugh

View Referee Joe McHugh profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 32197
Read other Q & A regarding Other

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.